Thursday, July 12, 2012

Let's make ice cream instead


It’s been three weeks and I’m already discouraged. Still sore and bruised, my "bike disaster" injured knee won’t let me workout the way I want to. Okay, let me rephrase that – I’m already working out harder than I want to but my knee won’t let me workout the way I should. So, I’m not ready to show off yet and frankly, patience has never been one of my virtues.

During the session, my trainer pays close attention to detail and tries his best to make sure I’m developing core strength. I’m so accustomed to using my arms and legs and back that it’s like my “core” has been on vacation. Nice life my core has had, but vacation time is over. It’s time it starts pulling its own weight and gives my extremities a little break. Seems I tense my shoulders and sway my back out of habit, but I’m slowly learning how to use the right muscles. It takes a lot of repetition but he keeps on eye on my form, quickly pointing out any errors. It’s not as easy as it might seem.

On the floor, we’re back to the “lift and squeeze” routine when I hear, “Everything should be turned on.” Immediately I think to myself, “What kind of a place is this?” when I feel a little poke in my side. Realizing he’s talking about my core I’m like, whew, because there is not one thing that’s a turn-on about this workout. Nothing. Nada. Zip. You know what would be a turn-on right now? If the weighted ball I raise high above my head then slam to the floor was instead the Play and Freeze ball — you know, the one that makes ice cream! I’m pretty sure that would make me work just a little harder and I might actually like it.

But, the little jab is a good reminder I’m working (as opposed to thinking about making ice cream) on my total body’s fitness, not just my legs or abs – the areas I’m most worried about. I tightened my stomach muscles as much as I could while secretly wishing he’d sprain his finger as he pushed against such rock-solid mass. Just writing this almost made me laugh out loud. I settled for his reassurance that I’m “getting it” and I guess the finger sprain will have to wait for another day. In the meantime, I think there might be something to this ice cream freezer ball as a motivator idea, so I plan on talking to my trainer to see what he thinks. Just as soon as he gets his finger out of my ribs.

No comments:

Post a Comment